Everest Mountain Flight
No matter how often you may have flown – long haul, short haul, STOL - whatever – the Everest Mountain Flight is one you will always remember. We often talk about a bird’s eye view, and in this case that is exactly what you will experience, for normally only birds, and then usually only the big birds of prey, choose to glide in the realms of the Himalaya, far above the mountains themselves. And only a bird’s eye could encompass the astonishing and unique range containing the undisputed, highest mountain of the world, together with numberless other snowy peaks, which jostle and crowd around it. It isn’t until you have actually been up above the peaks that you have an idea of the vast number of nameless, unexplored mountains which comprise the Himalayas.
Your flight will require that you rise early and make your way to Tribhuvan Domestic Airport. Several private airlines offer mountain flights, and we use them all, as they are equally reliable. The aircraft are small, twin-engined 18-seater planes, - Jetstream-41, Twin Otter De Havilland-DHC-6/300, Beech-1900Ds and Dornier-DO228. The seat configuration is a single row on each side, which means that you will have your own uninterrupted mountain view. Beside that, we can also arrange for private, mountain sightseeing on an hourly basis for about 5 people, in small Ecureuil-AS350 helicopters. (If you are interested in this latter option, please get in touch with us).
The captain will invite you into the cockpit and point out the major peaks in view, and you will be able to take clear photographs from there, and also through your own windows. If you are nearest to the peaks in the first part of your flight, you will be furthest away from them in the second part, and vice versa, so don’t panic about taking photographs until you are in a good position to do so. If you are confused about which peaks you are seeing, ask the host or hostess who will clarify matters for you.
After leaving Kathmandu, the aircraft heads east and the snowy peaks begin to come into view almost immediately. First is the majestic Shisha Pangma (8013m), with Dorje Lakpa (6996m) like a recumbent figure-of-eight, and Phurbi Ghyachu looming over the Kathmandu Valley, to its first and second right respectively.
Next in view is Chhoba Bhamare, the smallest of all the peaks seen on the flight, at 5933m, but thus far defying climbing attempts. Then comes Mt. Gauri Shankar (7134m), sharp and conspicuous, and believed by Hindus to be protected by Lord Shiva and his consort Gauri.
As the plane travels toward the Eastern Himalaya, there follows a succession of majestic mountains: Melungtse, with its plateau-like top, standing at 7023m, side by side with Chugimago (6297m) still remaining to be scaled; breast-shaped Mt. Numbur (6956m), believed to be the maternal source in the sky, providing pure milk to the Sherpas of Solokhumbu; gleaming white Karyolung (6511m); and then Cho Oyu, at a stunningly beautiful 8201m, the world’s sixth-highest mountain.
The most exciting, last stretch of the flight, takes you close to the 7952m high Gyachungkang, considered an extremely difficult climb. To its right is Pumori (7161m), followed by Nuptse (7855m), which means West Peak, signifying its direction from Everest. And, finally, at an almost unbelievable height of 8848m, you are confronted by the world’s tallest mountain, known as Sagarmatha to the Nepalis, Chomolungma to the Tibetans, and Mount Everest to most other people. Although much has been written about Everest, and though its images are so well known, to actually come face to face with this most enigmatic of Himalayan peaks, on a mountain flight, is a totally unforgettable, and unique, experience; and one to be recommended!
And, if all this is not enough, you may still see Lhotse (8616m), Ama Dablam (6812m) Chamlang (7319m) and Makalu (8463m)….with Kanchenjunga (8586m) probably just out of view!
The mountain flight is a truly unique experience, and should be considered, even if you have seen Everest from some panoramic viewpoint, trekked to base camp, or even climbed to the summit itself – it is the only way you will be able to experience a bird’s eye view!
Itinerary at a glance
Early morning drive to domestic airport, about 1.30hrs. round-trip mountain flight, and drive back to hotel
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
|Reference||Price pp||Trip Info|
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
Travelled with us before?
We would love you to share your images with us and our visitorsUpload your Images
We have a wide selection of photographs taken by clients and ourselves whilst on our tours. All images have been carefully selected to accurately portray this trip and uploaded for you to enjoy. All photographs copyright to the photographer.
Please click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the photo.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.