Sun Khosi River Expedition
The Sun Khosi, meaning ‘river of gold’, rises near Tibet and is joined by the Bhote Kosi just below Barabise. It is near this confluence, at Dolalghat, that rafting trips usually begin. The set-in point is about three hours road journey from Kathmandu, and from here the first few days are relatively easy and an excellent warm-up for what is to follow.
This most excellent and exhilarating of rivers, judged to be among the world’s top ten for white water rafting, offer beautiful natural scenery, cultivated terraced landscape, and the chance to see and hear about four hundred different kinds of birds. The ever-changing scenery helps to ensure that each day on the river is exciting and different. From the rafting put-in point at Dolalghat, to the take out point at Chatra, is a journey of 272 km. The trip provides a real taste of white water rafting and is also a photographer's paradise.
The river flow varies enormously, from huge post-monsoon run-off in early October down to low winter flows in January and February, rising again in May with snowmelt and pre-monsoon rains. To run the Sun Kosi just after the Monsoon must rate as one of life’s most exhilarating experiences. At this time of year the river is high and wild, and definitely not for the faint-hearted. There are dozens of adrenaline pumping rapids, up to Grade V-, and miles of calmer water to unwind and reflect on the beauty of this remote area.
Although this river trip is a complete holiday adventure in its own right, which we are offering with experienced rafters in mind, it might still be an idea to consider travelling on by road, to the Koshi Tappu wildlife reserve, to enjoy the very different wildlife of the Terai compared to that observed from the inside of an inflatable boat on the river!
Itinerary at a glance
Day 01 – Arrive Kathmandu
Day 02 – Kathmandu morning sightseeing and preparing for trip
Day 03 – Drive to Balephi and raft to Dolaghat
Day 04 – Raft to Tama Koshi confluence
Day 05 – Raft to Dhani Ghat at Liku confluence
Day 06 – Raft to Harkapur
Day 07 – Raft to Raighat
Day 08 – Raft to Raswaghat
Day 09 – Raft to Rivergha
Day 10 – Raft to Ranitar
Day 11 – Raft to Chatara and drive to Biratnagar
Day 12 – Drive or fly to Kathmandu
Day 13 – Shopping /leisure time in Kathmandu and optional visit to EPHC, our disadvantage children support project
Day 14 – Transfer to airport for international departure
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
- A AVAILABLE - Trip date is available and open for bookings. Go for it!
- G GUARANTEED - Trip is reached minimum numbers and this is 'Guaranteed to Run'
- L LIMITED - Trip is 'Guaranteed to Run' and there are a very limited number of available places remaining. Immediate booking is recommended.
- C CLOSED - Trip has reached maximum numbers and it is unavailable. Please Contact Us to enquire about other trip departure dates or booking this trip as a private departure
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
Travelled with us before?
We would love you to share your images with us and our visitorsUpload your Images
We have a wide selection of photographs taken by clients and ourselves whilst on our tours. All images have been carefully selected to accurately portray this trip and uploaded for you to enjoy. All photographs copyright to the photographer.
Please click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the photo.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.