Classic Tibet Overland
The most spectacular overland journeys in Tibet, Breathtaking Trans-Himalayan flight over the Everest
This classic tour to Tibet lasts for eight days. It begins with one of the most spectacular overland journeys, on the 920 km stretch of road, known as the Friendship Highway, between Kathmandu and Lhasa, and ends with a breathtaking Trans-Himalayan flight back from there. Following arrival at the Friendship Bridge at Kodari, on the Nepal-Tibet border, there is a short drive to Zhangmu, where immigration formalities will be completed and where the Tibetan guide will be introduced. He will take care of the entire tour arrangements until departure from Tibet at Lhasa airport. After crossing high mountain passes and driving through the landscape of the Tibetan plateau, which offers a cultural and scenic diversity unsurpassable anywhere, the road journey culminates in Lhasa, the highest city in the world, and capital of Tibet. It is home to a veritable treasure trove of architectural masterpieces, including Buddhist monasteries, such as the Jokhang, and the winter and summer palaces of the Dalai Lama, which will be visited.. A visit to the vibrant Barkhor market is one of the secular highlights of Lhasa., and arrangements will also be made for visiting famous monastery towns between Zhangmu and the capital. Arriving in Lhasa is a relative culture shock after the stark emptiness of the plateau landscape, because of the encroaching sprawl of ferro-concrete Chinese buildings. However, nothing can take away the fact that until quite recently this was the Forbidden City, and there are still pockets where the real Tibet lives on. You should treasure this experience, for with the march of progress, even the Lhasa of today will soon be changed, possibly beyond recognition. The flight back to Kathmandu is spectacular, and given favourable conditions there should be a clear view of Mount Everest from the plane, together with many other high Himalayan peaks.
Itinerary at a glance
Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Preparation and free time in Kathmandu
Day 03: Drive to Kathmandu to Zhangmu
Day 04: Drive to Zhangmu to Xegar
Day 05: Drive to Xegar to Xigatse
Day 06: Drive to Xigatse to Gyanstse
Day 07: Drive to Gyanstse to Lhasa
Day 08 & 09: Sightseeing around Lhasa
Day 10: Fly to Kathmandu
Day 11: Kathmandu Sightseeing (Kathmandu, Patan or Bhaktpru)
Day 12: Transfer to International airport for departure
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
- A AVAILABLE - Trip date is available and open for bookings. Go for it!
- G GUARANTEED - Trip is reached minimum numbers and this is 'Guaranteed to Run'
- L LIMITED - Trip is 'Guaranteed to Run' and there are a very limited number of available places remaining. Immediate booking is recommended.
- C CLOSED - Trip has reached maximum numbers and it is unavailable. Please Contact Us to enquire about other trip departure dates or booking this trip as a private departure
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
Travelled with us before?
We would love you to share your images with us and our visitorsUpload your Images
We have a wide selection of photographs taken by clients and ourselves whilst on our tours. All images have been carefully selected to accurately portray this trip and uploaded for you to enjoy. All photographs copyright to the photographer.
Please click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the photo.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.